This post should have hit the blog about a month ago during the month of February when we were inspired by all things Jim Dine and the power of symmetry. Here we are a month later and as I think about it, hearts are a worthy symbol that can be celebrated during any month of the school year! So, let these projects inspire something "heart-ish" for your art room :) Please enjoy the assortment of work below and add a comment if you would like details on anything in particular!
This is such a fun project and the kids really get into it - we talk about advertising and graphic design and how important clear, bold lettering/illustration is when putting together a successful advertisement to catch the viewer's attention. I was astounded at all the extra wording the kids were adding to their favorite food ads (buy one, get one free, gluten-free, kids eat free, etc.) - a clear sign that they have been influenced by successful advertisement! Students first created a border using a ruler. They were asked to fill the border with a pattern. Then they got to work on hand-lettering and illustration to convey a favorite food! This idea was inspired by a project idea I came upon years ago at Artsonia.
The nouns of art are so important and I really make an effort to focus on each one of them with all of my grade levels. This past fall, 1st graders spent time discussing the nouns of art. Having already touched on landscapes during October, we picked up with family portraits and potted plant still-lifes to round out our learning. The kids drew a portrait of their family on a sheet of fancied up copy paper (I drew a frame around the edge). I emphasized how shapes and lines are great for building people. We started with placing circles in the empty space for each family member. Then I showed how to build the neck, shoulders and upper bodies using lines. The kids soaked it all up and impressed me with their ingenuity!
On another day, the kids made still-lifes that were inspired by illustrations of potted plants (that came from a grocery store coloring book). We discussed once again using lines and shapes to build the pots first and then the plants. I encouraged my students to draw big and fill the space, plus include a background. 1st graders are so cool - they melt my heart with their work!
This is a fun winter themed lesson I completed with my Pre-K students - I found the inspiration at Deep Space Sparkle, and decided to simplify it a bit. Our ingredients for the penguin project included pieces of bleeding tissue paper, watercolor paper, construction paper and fun googly eyes.
Students began the project by making the colorful background paper. We used the tissue paper technique to dye the paper. Each student received a piece of 9x12 watercolor paper and I set out trays of chopped up bleeding tissue paper (which we named "magic paper"). We talked about making the "magic papers" melt onto the watercolor paper by using brushes and plenty of water. If students didn't add enough water during class, I added some additional water so that all of the magic seeped onto the watercolor paper.
Before class, I pre-cut lots of penguin feet and triangle beaks. To begin, I demonstrated the drawing, cutting and gluing steps to build the penguin. Each student drew a large letter "U" on a piece of 6x9 black paper for the penguin's body. Then they drew a large letter "U" on a smaller piece of white paper for the penguin's belly. These pieces were cut out and glued on top of the colorful watercolor paper using Elmer's glue. The finishing touches were the pre-cut beaks, feet and of course, two googly eyes!
Here is the last autumnal project of the year to post - created by my 5th graders over a three-week span of time. One class had some interruptions due to field trips, so instead of pumpkins, we'll create winter birch trees to glue onto the landscapes!
Each student received a piece of 9"x 12" art paper. First, they decided the orientation for the landscape composition - from that point, they needed to set the stage - so they made a decision as to time of day by including a symbol in the sky. The ground space was broken up into 3 or 4 sections and texture rubbed all over the paper using unwrapped crayons. Students used watercolor paints to add color as desired to the landscape.
Students practiced drawing pumpkins using curved lines. Once their confidence was built up, they worked on small pieces of art paper that I pre-cut to help guide size - they made a small, medium and large pumpkin - filling the space of each pre-cut paper as much as possible.
I showed the kids how to choose three varying shades of orange to fill in the pumpkins from dark to light to achieve form. Then we talked about how the size of objects is affected based on placement in a picture. The kids cut out their pumpkins and placed them according to this principle. Before gluing them down, they added small ovals of black paper for the cast shadow to give the ultimate 3-D effect!!