Wednesday, May 28, 2014

3rd grade African Masks

This lesson was born from a recycled material that I had been collecting for some time with the intention of making masks - do you recognize that shape?! Ding, ding!! You got it - Lean Cuisine trays, haha! I even had some of my teacher friends who eat these meals for lunch, wash them out and save them for me! 
We primed the plastic containers with white gesso on day one. The following week, students selected two colors of tempera paint and used their color scheme to paint a collection of stripes (which could go in one or many directions, just not overlapped). On the final day, we looked at a handout of African masks I had made and also had a brief discussion about symmetry. Students cut facial features from craft foam (which, by the way, is really fun to use). Feathers and buttons were added if desired. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments! They are greatly appreciated!!