Saturday, May 5, 2012

3rd grade Adinkra Cloth


Adinkra cloth is a traditional cloth made in Ghana with hand stamped symbols. Developed by the Ashanti people, Adinkra cloths were traditionally made for royalty to wear at religious ceremonies. Through the years, people have also decorated the cloths to tell a story or to express their thoughts or feelings. My 3rd graders just wrapped up learning about and making their own Adinkra cloths!  Because I tend to want to try different techniques, some classes used a collage technique, while others used a stamping method.
 









2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to teach about the Adinkra symbols! I am sure the children loved these sessions. I think this is the best way to teach about culture around the world - allow the children to have a hands on experience - they will always remember this hands on experience.

    wishing you and your students all the very best

    jaelma
    http://www.themochalife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaelma!
    Thank you so much for your comment! I only saw it now, which is strange, so I'm sorry for the late response! I'll be over to check out your blog shortly!! I agree with you completely----learning about other world cultures is so important. We are becoming interconnected more and more ever day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments! They are greatly appreciated!!