Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sticky Note Art


It's always a little tricky to get things going in the art room during the first week of school. Especially because there seem to be lots of schedule changes and of course, the kids are a little nervous. I find it easiest to spend a few minutes reacquainting all of the kids with the art room rules, no student zones and my pet peeves (like no paper airplanes or marker wands or playing around the paper cutter). I try not to spend more than about 10 minutes doing this and then I move on to sharing a little about my summer through a PowerPoint. This year, after the PowerPoint, I shared two YouTube videos about sticky notes---yes, sticky notes. The kids loved them (scroll to the bottom to find the links). Afterwards, they spent the last few minutes creating one or two pieces of art on, you guessed it, sticky notes! We just placed them on some large foam core boards I had in my closet to create big murals. I thought we would be able to display them in the hallway for a little while, but with the change in temperature throughout the building during the day and night, they have started to fall off like leaves.
It was a lot of fun though and I'm glad we did it! What a great lesson in turing everyday materials into works of art!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1rZqw5bXb4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpWM0FNPZSs&feature=player_embedded


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments! They are greatly appreciated!!