Thursday, April 30, 2015

4th grade Mexico Unit


4th graders wrapped up their unit on Mexico a few weeks ago. We made ceramic clay suns, Mexican folk art mirrors and even practiced drawing some Mexican Indian designs. The clay lesson is a winner and I've taught it for several years now. I figured out the secret to controlling the size of the sun is to limit the space during the planning phase, so I hand out a planning sheet with a circle that they draw sun rays around. I added a square around that circle so they have to stay within that space (you don't want those rays to get too long or skinny). It truly helps. I allow my students to show any emotion they would like and we look at a handout I made with lots of ceramic suns to generate ideas. During the time when we are waiting for the suns to be fired, students designed a folk art mirror (inspiration from Painted Paper). I bought silver wrapping paper for them to use for the shiny center. While the mirrors were being designed students who finished early took a look at some Mexican Indian designs and used them as a starting point to create a drawn composition.
















5 comments:

  1. Love seeing one of my oldies but goodies still being used- Mexican Mirrors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, total oversight, I should have given you credit for inspiring the mirrors because I did see it from your blog via Pinterest :) I tried to find the original post, but couldn't, so I linked up to one I could find on your blog about the mirrors! THANK YOU for catching my oversight and being so kind to share your ideas :)

      Delete
    2. Aww, Thanks for the love! I think it is funny that the project keeps on recirculating. :)

      Delete
  2. I have a group of second graders studying this now...Metepec Sun Motifs...is what I am calling the lesson. We are making paintings. Will share on my blog soon, will be curious what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara - yes! I used to call the suns by "Metepec" also!! I stopped doing that and just refer to them as Mexican as I think it's easier for the kids to understand.....

      Delete

Thank you for leaving your comments! They are greatly appreciated!!